There wasn’t a lot of food suggested in Blindsighted but I love a challenge. As soon as I read the screwdriver quote, I knew that I would somehow be incorporating vodka, orange juice and a southern breakfast dish. Pecan sticky buns make me think of Georgia. And so, voila- Screwdriver Sticky Buns. I literally had to slap my husband’s hand away from the steaming bun to get this picture. He took one bite and declared this a Christmas morning tradition.
Screwdriver Orange Sticky Buns with Vodka Glaze
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm orange juice pulp free, 106-112°F
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tbsp citron vodka
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Add the warm orange juice to the yeast. Cover and let sit until bubbly, about 10 minutes. *it is so important to measure the temperature of the orange juice. 106-112 is ideal. Too low and the yeast wont activate, too high and the yeast will die.
- Add butter, sugar, eggs and zest. Mix.
- Add flour and salt. Stir to mix. Knead on medium for 5 minutes. Let rise until just doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Once the dough is ready, make the filling by mixing the cinnamon, sugar and melted butter.
- Roll the dough out into a 12 inch by 8 inch rectangle. Spread the filling over the entire rectangle and sprinkle with the remaining pecans.
- Roll the longways so that you have a 12 inch long log. Cut into 1 inch slices and place evenly into a 13x9 baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cover the rolls and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by mixing the sugar, vodka, juice, melted butter and vanilla.
- While the rolls are still warm, drizzle the glaze over them and sprinkle with the remaining pecans.