These English tea cookies are adorable and a great base for so many flavors and shapes. Originating in Austria, the oldest known recipe was found in 1653.
Linzer Heart Cookies
pretty and delicious heart shaped cookies for your loved ones!
- Rolling Pin
- cookie cutters
- 7 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- raspberry jam or strawberry jam
- confectioners sugar for garnish
- Cream the butter and add sugar. Mix.
- Add egg yolks, mixing in one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Add the flours, salt and baking powder until combined.
- Chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Roll out dough and cut out as many large heart shapes as possible. With a smaller heart shape, cut into the center of half of the hearts. The whole hearts will be the bottom cookie, the hearts with 'windows' will be the top cookies, centered by jam.
- Bake until the edges begin to golden, about 8-10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool completely, then spread jam onto the whole hearts. Using a small sifter, sprinkle the confectioners sugar on top of the heart cookies with the centers cut out. Place these on top of the cookies covered in jam. Enjoy!
Sodium: 83mg | Calcium: 16mg | Vitamin A: 124IU | Sugar: 9g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 11mg | Cholesterol: 25mg | Calories: 122kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fat: 6g | Protein: 2g | Carbohydrates: 15g | Iron: 1mg