Why have I always thought of scones as dry, crumbly, tasteless things that 18th century lords and ladies ate in their stuffy parlors? Goodness, these things are actually heavenly!! As a nod to all the tea times in Pride and Prejudice, I was inspired to make a tea glaze to drizzle over these scrumptious scones. Warm, soft and bursting with berries, they are a tea drinkers delight.
Berry Scones with Tea Glaze
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 bags ceylon or Earl Grey tea
- 1.5 - 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut in cubes of butter.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla. Stir together but dont over mix.
- Knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in berries.
- Pat into 1" round.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Heat the milk to a simmer- do not boil. Pull off of the heat and add the tea bags. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Pull the tea bags from the milk and let it cool slightly.
- Add powder sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. I needed two cups of sugar for my liquid glaze. Add more if you desire a thicker glaze. Enjoy with your favorite cup of tea.