Must be 21 to eat these. So if you follow the blog, you may have noticed the Apple Cider Donut Holes stuffed with three different filling flavors. Well, they were delicious. Yet three mostly filled pastry bags of delightful and flavor packed fillings still sat in my fridge this morning. Genius hit at 5:30 am while my two year old refused to sleep- pop tarts!!
This pie dough tart is stuffed with Apple Pie Filling and Salted Caramel then frosted with Maple Whiskey Buttercream before being drizzled with the Salted Caramel Sauce again. Yep, you’re welcome.
peace and xo,
Grown Up Pop Tarts
- 1 batch The Only Pie Dough You'll Ever Need recipe below
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Apple Filling recipe below
- Salted Caramel Sauce recipe below
- Maple Whiskey Buttercream recipe below
- Heat oven to 350F
- Take half of the pie dough and make a rectangle shaped lump of dough. Roll to about 1/8" thick.
- Cut into evenly sized rectangles. Repeat with the other half of the pie dough.
- Pair up the rectangles making sure that you have an even amount.
- Whisk together egg and water. Brush along the edges of one rectangle dough, place a heaping tablespoon of apple filling in the middle. Lay the second rectangle piece on top.
- Using a fork, crimp around the entire edge of the tart. Repeat for the rest of the rectangle sets.
- Poke two sets of holes in the top with a fork to prevent large bubbles in the dough.
- Bake until golden, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Frost with the Maple Whiskey Buttercream and drizzle with Salted Caramel Sauce. Pour yourself a few fingers of whiskey and enjoy!
- If you loved this recipe, let me know in the comments below! thank you!
The Only Pie Dough Recipe You'll Ever Need
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- cup butter cold, unsalted, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 7-9 tbsp water ice cold
- Mix together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Slowly add the cubed butter, mixing as you go.
- Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough starts to ball up into one large piece of dough.
- Refrigerate or use immediately. My mini pies bake for around 15 minutes at 350. A regular sized pie will take longer, about 25-35 minutes. Just watch for the beginnings of a pretty golden brown.
- Nerdy Tips: - use butter, never margarine!- use unsalted butter so that you can control the taste of your dough- use COLD butter. This is how you get that perfect flaky texture.- put ice cubes in the water before adding by Tablespoons to the mixture.- chill dough during any delays- when rolling out the dough use only fresh dough, setting all scraps to the side until you run out. Resist the urge to add your scraps back in as you go. This way, the dough does not become over floured or overworked. - a sauce pan lid works perfectly for cutting out small circles to fit the muffin tins for mini pies!- chill the pies as you make the tops- have fun with it! cookie cutters make cute little shapes for the top crustIf you liked this recipe, leave a comment below! thank you!
In case you're making the fillings just for the pop tarts (it's worth it!!), I'll put the recipes below.
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 medium granny smith apples diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- Over medium low heat, cook down all ingredient, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
Salted Caramel Filling
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 10 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Over medium heat, melt the butter, syrup and sugar. Bring to a simmer and let thicken, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the cream and continue simmering until it begins to thicken more, about 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat. Add salt and vanilla extract. Stir thoroughly and let cool, about 20 minutes. It will thicken even more.
- Try not to eat with a spoon. Enjoy!!
Maple Whiskey Buttercream
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp whiskey
- Cream the butter. Like cream it for at least 3 minutes. This is the make or break point for buttercream frostings.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, syrup and whiskey. Whisk thoroughly.
I hope you love them!! If you’d like to try different flavors of pop tarts I’ll put a list of recipes that include yummy fillings below. peace and xo!