Hold up! This is seriously going to up your pancake game! Weekend breakfast has never been more fun. On the outside, they’re just regular fluffy pancakes but cut them open for a splash of color! These are a great start to the day for birthdays and holidays.
Hidden Surprise Pancakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Mix all ingredients except coconut oil together.
- For three different surprise pancake colors, grab three small bowls and scoop 1/2 cup of batter into each. Color as desired.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a tablespoon of the oil.
- Make small pancakes out of the colored batter, about 1 1/2 to 2" round. Flip when the tops are no longer glossy and they start to bubble. Set all the small pancakes aside.
- Adding oil as needed to the skillet, pour the regular uncolored batter, making 4-5" rounds. Immediately set a small pancake in the center of each. Top with 3-4 tablespoons of batter. Flip the pancakes before they start to bubble.
- Top with tons of maple syrup and enjoy!!!
The trick to these, as you will see below, is to make the baby, colorful pancakes first. That way the insides are guaranteed to be cooked and fluffy as well as the outside pancake. If you are averse to food coloring, try mixing in fruit such as mashed blueberries or pureed strawberries instead.
Have you tried this recipe?? I’d love to hear your feedback. Please comment and rate! Peace & love, jenni