Why have I always thought of scones as dry, crumbly, tasteless things that 18th century lords and ladies ate in their stuffy parlors? Goodness, these things are actually heavenly!!
As a tea drinker, Behind Every Lie was a delightful change from all the coffee loving characters I’ve been reading about. Also, Kimbees Tea recently sent me some teas in exchange for an honest review. The timing couldn’t have been better! Their tea is rich and has a pure taste. I personally love the Spice Tea flavor but the Ceylon is everyday delicious! It is so tasty that I was inspired to make a tea glaze to drizzle over these scrumptious scones. Warm, soft and bursting with berries, they are a tea drinkers delight.
Berry Scones with Tea Glaze
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 bags ceylon or Earl Grey tea
- 1.5 – 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut in cubes of butter.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla. Stir together but dont over mix.
- Knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in berries.
- Pat into 1" round.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Heat the milk to a simmer- do not boil. Pull off of the heat and add the tea bags. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Pull the tea bags from the milk and let it cool slightly.
- Add powder sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. I needed two cups of sugar for my liquid glaze. Add more if you desire a thicker glaze. Enjoy with your favorite cup of tea.
Have you tried this recipe? I’d love to know what you think! peace & love, jenni