These southern biscuits are rich and fluffy, just like Kya’s ma used to make. Owens mentions biscuits so often throughout Crawdads that I had to indulge. Now, they are a staple around here on the weekends with our eggs and bacon. I hope you enjoy- they come from my heart!
Ma's Fluffy Biscuits
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter cold and unsalted, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk cold
- 2 tbsp buttermilk for brushing
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix together flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut in the cubes of butter until coarse crumbs are the size of peas.
- Pour in buttermilk and add egg. Stir everything together until just combined but do not overmix.
- Flour a flat surface to work on. Shape the dough into a rectangle and fold one third of the edge into the middle. Fold the other side into the middle.
- Gently roll dough until 1" thick.
- Cut out biscuits by pushing down the cutter and lifting straight up- do not twist the cutter. This would only seal the edges and you want them free to rise.
- Closely place biscuits in a small pan and brush with buttermilk.
- Bake for 20 minutes and the tops are golden brown.
Do yourself a favor and make Kya’s Blackberry Jam.
You will be transported to the marshes of North Carolina with the first bite!