The food is as rich and encompassing as the book. My own take on the delicious meal Vianne made; pork roast with German potato dumplings, sauerkraut peppered with bacon and smoothed by shredded green apple, and of course, French peas drowning in tarragon butter.
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, shredded
- 3 cans sauerkraut, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 baking potato, shredded
- 3 T butter
- salt & pepper to taste
Brown the bacon until crispy in a large dutch oven. Remove from the dutch oven with a slotted spoon, placing on a plate covered in paper towels. Drain the grease except for 1/4 cup. Add onion slices and shredded apples to the 1/4 cup of bacon grease still in the pot. Sauté until translucent. Add bacon back to the pot as well as the sauerkraut and mix thoroughly. Add stock and simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Stir in the shredded potatoes and butter. Cook 5 mores minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- add a splash of chicken stock while sautéing the onions and apple to help them cook down without burning.
- surprisingly, sauerkraut did not originate in Germany. There are some who claim that Genghis Khan brought it from Mongolia to Europe.
- cabbage is high in vitamins C and K; fermenting it actually increases its nutritious value.
Oh my gosh!! Thank you so much! That means a lot 💙
I love your posts! The pictures are awesome. I love the way you pair the foods and drinks with the…
Thank you! I had fun putting them together with the book 😁💗
Awesome recipes!! Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to incorporating these into my book club event!!
[…] The Nerdy Gourmet […]