I added “Gourmet” to the title because these are not your everyday quesadillas. These are “make them when company comes over” mushroom quesadillas. Gruyere cheese and an assortment of in season mushrooms kick this dish up a few notches.
Gourmet Mexican Quesadillas
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 lb mushrooms seasonal is best
- 1 medium tomato cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 scallions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic cut into large slices
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeno cut into rings, seeds removed
- 8 oz gruyere cheese shredded
- 4 soft taco size tortillas
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil and butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and scallions. Cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cook two more minutes.
- Add jalapeno peppers and cilantro. Cook two additional minutes, then pull the mushroom mix from the heat.
- In a separate skillet, heat over a medium to high flame. Add one tortilla shell and layer a quarter of the shredded cheese.
- Layer half of the mushroom mixture on top.
- Add another quarter of the cheese before topping with another tortilla. Cook until the bottom layer of cheese has melted, about 3 minutes.
- Flip the quesadilla and melt the cheese on the other side for 2-3 minutes. Pull from the heat. Repeat for the second quesadilla.
- Quarter and serve immediately. Enjoy! I ate my Gourmet Mexican Quesadilla with a fork.
Have you tried this recipe?? I’d love to hear your feedback. Please comment and rate! Peace & love, jenni