This stew is the perfect end to a cold winters’ day. Warm, comforting and as spicy as you like it, the pork is slow cooked in Mexican flavors.
- 2 lbs pork shoulder
- 2 T olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 T butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded
- 2 T cornmeal
- 2 cups chicken stock
Trim the excess fat off of the pork shoulder and cube into 1 inch pieces. Salt and pepper the pork cubes. Heat olive oil in a pot and add pork. Sear over medium to high heat. Remove meat from the pot. Add 1 Tablespoon of butter and onion. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Add red bell pepper and cook down until the onions are translucent and aromatic. Meanwhile, add the following to a blender: garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, tomatoes, jalapeños and cornmeal. Blend until mixed and add chicken stock. Blend again. Put pork back into the pot with the onions and red pepper. Add the blended spice mixture. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 90 minutes. Add black beans and simmer for 15 more minutes. Serve with lime wedges and cilantro for garnish.
- When grocery shopping, ask the butcher to trim the fat and cube your pork shoulder.
- Garlic: you can mince your own or check out Gourmet Garden’s stir in Garlic Paste. This stuff is great! It’s pure and easy. Find in the produce refrigerated section.
- Use a fire roasted diced tomato to add more depth of flavor.
- Roll your lime before cutting to make it juicier.
🤩 love it! I do that sometimes! I think I’ve discovered something and its already been done 😂
Thanks Azilde! I’d never heard of them either. I thought I came up with an amazing idea but when I…
These look good! Ive never had or heard of stuffed bagels like this. 😋
Thank you, I greatly appreciate it:)
Thank you!! Will do 😊