I’m in love with these perfect little pockets of comfort food. They make a great appetizer for any party- warm and easy finger food.
Pot Roast Empanada
These are perfect for leftover pot roast or for hand held party appetizers!
Servings: 36 empanadas
- slow cooker
- 1 can condensed mushroom soup
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 lb pot roast
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 4 carrots peeled, chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 8 oz button mushrooms washed, sliced
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup water hot
- 1 egg for brushing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp horseradish
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorn freshly ground
- Add the roast, stock, soup, soup mix and onion to a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.
- 4 hours into cooking, add the carrots, celery and mushrooms.
- Let cool, at least slightly.
- Place roast on a cutting board and chop into small pieces. Put aside in a small bowl.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the slow cooker and add them to the bowl with the chopped roast.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and store in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour and water.
- Cut in the cubes of cold butter, mixing until the flour mixture is crumbly.
- Add the hot water, slowly and mix until the dough is soft and stretchy.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll one half out on a floured surface.
- Cut out 5 inch circles. I used a small bowl.
- Place the circles of dough onto one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the pot roast into the middle of each dough circle. Fold the circles in half and using a fork crimp the edges together, encasing the roast.
- Whisk the egg and brush the empanadas.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with the horseradish sauce. Enjoy!!
Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 392mg | Potassium: 189mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1241IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg