Pot Roast Empanadas with Horseradish Sauce
I’m in love with these perfect little pockets of comfort food. They make a great appetizer for any party- warm and easy finger food.
Pot Roast Empanada
These are perfect for leftover pot roast or for hand held party appetizers!
Servings: 36 empanadas
- slow cooker
- 1 can condensed mushroom soup
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 lb pot roast
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 4 carrots peeled, chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 8 oz button mushrooms washed, sliced
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup water hot
- 1 egg for brushing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp horseradish
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorn freshly ground
- Add the roast, stock, soup, soup mix and onion to a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.
- 4 hours into cooking, add the carrots, celery and mushrooms.
- Let cool, at least slightly.
- Place roast on a cutting board and chop into small pieces. Put aside in a small bowl.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the slow cooker and add them to the bowl with the chopped roast.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and store in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour and water.
- Cut in the cubes of cold butter, mixing until the flour mixture is crumbly.
- Add the hot water, slowly and mix until the dough is soft and stretchy.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll one half out on a floured surface.
- Cut out 5 inch circles. I used a small bowl.
- Place the circles of dough onto one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the pot roast into the middle of each dough circle. Fold the circles in half and using a fork crimp the edges together, encasing the roast.
- Whisk the egg and brush the empanadas.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with the horseradish sauce. Enjoy!!
Sodium: 392mg | Calcium: 18mg | Vitamin C: 1mg | Vitamin A: 1241IU | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 189mg | Cholesterol: 30mg | Calories: 140kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Fat: 6g | Protein: 8g | Carbohydrates: 13g | Iron: 1mg
If you like this recipe, check out the book that inspired it!
You can buy The Woman in the Window here from Amazon or you can also choose to support local bookstores by purchasing the audio version at Libro.fm here.