These Bagel Balls are so fun! They’re a NYC deli stop in a bite. Smokey lox, cream cheese and briny capers surrounded by chewy everything bagels create a classic taste in a fun new way. These are also great for on the go eating in the car.
Brooklyn Lox and Cream Cheese Bagel Balls
A quick NYC deli stop in a bite? Yes, please. Great for on the go!
Servings: 20 bagel balls
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 oz lox chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp capers rinsed
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water 106-110°F
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- toppings of choice I used Trader Joes Everything But the Bagel
- Mix together the cream cheese, lox and capers. Divide into 20 teaspoon sized balls. Freeze.
- Mix the yeast, sugar and warm water. Cover and let sit until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and salt. Mix until combined then knead on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Let the dough rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and start to boil a stockpot full of water. Get any toppings ready. I poured mine into a bowl next to the stove for easy access.
- Punch down the dough and cut into 20 equal parts. Flatten each part and place one of the frozen cream cheese balls in the middle. Pinch the dough around the cheese then roll until smooth. Repeat until all the bagel balls are formed.
- Once the water is boiling, gently drop in 4-5 bagel balls and cook for 40 seconds, flip with tongs and cook for another 40 seconds. Pull and set aside.
- Once the boiled balls have been pulled from the water, let them cool while you drop the next batch in. Then roll in your prefered toppings.
- Line the topped boiled bagel balls on a large cookie sheet. Bake in the oven until golden, 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!! Store in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
Sodium: 339mg | Calcium: 16mg | Vitamin A: 157IU | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 59mg | Cholesterol: 14mg | Calories: 131kcal | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fat: 5g | Protein: 5g | Carbohydrates: 17g | Iron: 1mg