This protein packed kid friendly, vegan & vegetarian friendly snack is super easy to make.
Lemon & Spinach Hummus
- food processor
- 15 oz chickpeas, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 3-4 tbsp water
- Peel the chickpeas, if desired. It just makes the hummus smoother and takes about 10 minutes to prep.
- Add chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and garlic to a food processor.
- Add olive oil, cumin, salt and blend.
- Add spinach and 2 tablespoons of the water and blend. Add more water by tablespoons until you get a creamy consistency.
- Put in a serving bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve and eat with joy!
- leave the chickpea skins on for more fiber. I took them off so my kids would be more apt to try this hummus.
- serve with just about anything! we use pita chips, raw veggies, and spread on greek chicken wraps.
- there are so many variations of hummus, this is just one option. Switch it up with different spices, add some herbs, pine nuts, olives or whatever you’re craving.
- Hummus is made all over the world especially in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries.
- Chickpeas are packed with protein and vitamins as well as iron, magnesium, zinc and potassium.
- Hummus is a great healthy alternative to other dips or sandwich spreads (ahem, mayo). It’s packed with fiber and protein but low in saturated fats, leaving you feeling full and satisfied long after lunch.
- Chickpeas are also known as Garbanzo beans and have been around for millennia!