If you have a Green Egg Grill, I’m sure that you’ve made pizzas! If not, these come out just as delicious in a hot oven. I’m giving you my pizza dough and sauce recipes but the toppings are all you! Some suggestions: mushrooms, pepperoni, sausage, blue cheese olives, caramelized onions, everything bagel spices, mozzarella balls torn up, ricotta cheese, broccoli, ham, bell peppers, jalapeños…… The list is infinite. Don’t box yourself in!
Nerdy Pizza Pies
- pizza stone
- 1 package yeast fast acting/instant
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water 106-110°F
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal for dusting
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 6 oz water warm
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- toppings of your choice see above for suggestions
- Preheat oven to 450° or prep Green Egg.
- Mix together yeast, sugar and add in water- making sure that it is anywhere from 106° to 110°F. This is important to activate the yeast!
- Cover and let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt and olive oil.
- Add flour and knead on medium speed for 5 minutes. The dough will go from sticky to bouncy. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Divide into 6 even balls and roll each in flour until it's about 1/8" thick.
- Cover a cutting board with a generous amount of cornmeal. Lay the rolled out dough on top. Layer with sauce, cheese and toppings.
- While the pizza dough is rising, make the sauce. (If possible, make the sauce the day before- the flavors have so much time to meld together this way!)
- Thoroughly whisk together the tomato sauce, paste and warm water. Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and stir. Set aside until ready to use.
Have you made these pizzas? Send me some pics and I'll feature them!
Love the recipe? Check out the book!